13-140-AN1 (San Francisco, California)

Date of Sighting: Summer of 1969 or 1970

Time of Sighting: Evening

Duration of Event: In total, approximately 30 minutes

Location of UFO: San Francisco, California, USA

Shape of Object: Saucer

UFO Report:  My friend, Rachel and I were sitting on the cement steps of a house that had burnt down on the small hill.

Rachel and I were talking when we noticed a strange light, moving erratically in the sky, across the San Bruno Mountains.  It would shoot straight up, stop suddenly (as the saying goes…stopping on a dime) and then shoot in a totally different direction.  The light kept up these movements for at least 5-10 minutes.  I remember saying to Rachel, “Look…..there’s an UFO”.  We watched its performance in awe until the UFO shot away.

We continued talking for quite some time (perhaps 30 minutes) after the experience when I had this over-whelming feeling that I needed to look up above me.  As I did, I saw a large, round disc, directly above Rachel and me.  It was so large, it obscured our view of anything else.  I felt if I raised my hand, I could touch it so I tried but it wasn’t as close as I had thought.  I noticed there were no marks, writing or seams on the disc.   It was completely smooth, burnt orange in color and totally silent.  I then heard Rachel start to scream.  At this time, unknown to us, both of our sisters, Jean and Yvonne and our friend, John, were on the street, in front of our house.  They heard our screams and thought we were being attacked. So they ran down the street and went behind the houses, only to be greeted with the sight of the burnt orange disc, hovering over Rachel and me.  I don’t really recall much else except all of a sudden, Jean, Yvonne and John were standing with us, underneath the disc.  Someone yelled for us to run and when I looked at Rachel, she was standing in place, running but not going anywhere.  I’ve seen this in cartoons but never in person.  John picked up Rachel and threw her over his shoulder and ran.  As we ran across the top of the small hill, the disc followed us, silently.  We could see figures moving inside the UFO via small openings in the middle of the UFO. We stopped at the section of the hill, which would have taken us back down into the street.  At this time, I told everyone I was going to go get binoculars so I ran down the hill, across the empty lot, and jumped the fence to the back of our house.  As I ran up the back stairs and I reached for the doorknob, I suddenly had this feeling that I wasn’t suppose to see them so I literally took my hand off of the doorknob as if it were hot to the touch.  I then turned around, ran down the stairs, jumped the fence and ran up the hill, back to my waiting friends and sister.  Jean asked me where the binoculars were and I said I couldn’t get them.  She seemed to accept that answer, even though it didn’t make sense then and certainly doesn’t make sense now.

We were still standing on the small hill, closer to the street with the burnt orange disc still hovering close by.   Then suddenly, the disc shot straight up and literally disappeared from sight.  The 5 of us just stood there  dumbfounded.

Later that evening, the 5 of us were still on the hill, trying to see if we could see the UFO again.  From the top of the small hill, we could see many of the streets.  We had a very good view of Mansell Street.  We noticed a  light coming down the street.  It was a single, bright light, going very, very slow.  We really weren’t sure what it was but I remember John saying he thought it was a motorcycle while I though it was a bicycle.  Whatever it was, it turned right on Bowdoin Street, which was a dead-end.  It stopped at the end of the street and shot straight up into the sky and disappeared from sight.  We never saw it or the UFO again.

Side note:  The next day, Jean asked her father, Howard Norville (now deceased), who worked at the San Francisco Airport as a TWA mechanic, if anyone reported lights in the sky on the evening of our encounter.  He told her no one had reported lights or anything unusual during the time we had our sighting.

I also found a report of someone else reporting a  light in the sky above San Bruno Mountains during the summer of 1970.  Not sure if it’s the same date and time as our sighting but it’s seems to fit what we saw and experienced.

About Director

Interim Director Aerial Phenomenon Investigations
Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed